Thursday, January 13, 2005

(More) Pussy Thoughts and Cat Tales

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
As expected Boe's dry food ran out earlier than expected. I had to rush to Petsmart to replenish her food supply. She normally consumes a 4 lb-bag of Science Diet in less than a month. Hopefully, the 4 lb bag will be enough for 6 weeks given the new feeding method I'll introduce this week. No more free choice feeding for Boeboe. This type of feeding is similar to having a round-the-clock buffet setup, meaning Boeboe can go back and forth her foodbowl anytime she feels like eating. Now you know why she gained weight. Well that has to change. I want to see her leaner in the coming months. Wish us luck!
********

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In a way I'm fortunate to have adopted a cat who's into dry food. Some cats prefer being fed with the wet kind. In other cases, fed with human food. This is a big NO-NO! What's even more shocking is that some cat owners allow their pets to eat ice cream, cakes, hamburgers and what ever they have in the fridge. This kind of feline "pampering" is similar to giving your cat a daily dose of poison.Table food is way too fatty for the digestive systems of cats(and animals in general) and can lead to severe stomach upsets. This can also trigger a possibly fatal pancreatic inflammation. Imagine feeding your cats "bulalo" everyday, do you think the poor thing will live long enough or beyond its normal lifespan? Certainly not.

In short, every cat owner should RESIST the temptation of feeding their cat whatever's on their plate. Companies like Hill's, Purina and Whiskas spend billions in research and development in order to come up high quality cat food. Cat food is designed to meet the dietary requirements of a cat.This is why it's a MUST to feed them ONLY with cat food.

Oh and before I forget, don't ever make that mistake of giving chocolates to your kitties. It is ultra toxic to them.


********

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Having a cat entails commitment. It requires educating one's self constantly by reading books on cat care or any cat related literature for that matter as well as participating in discussion groups/online forums to learn how other cat owners handle problems with their feline companions. One has to take the time to know these things otherwise you won't understand what your cats are saying(and believe me they do communicate a lot). The motion of their ears and tails and even the direction of their whiskers mean something. Unless you equip yourself with the necessary knowledge, then there is no way you will bond seamlessly with your pet.
I noticed some people get carried away with the thought of having a cat of their own after seeing how beautiful Boe and Pozzy are but forgetting the responsibility attached to having them. I encourage those who are sort of "enticed" by the idea of having a cat to really take the time to look into themselves and find out if they are indeed ready to take responsibility for these feline creatures(or any pet for that matter). Getting a cat is similar to having a child where loads and heaps of patience and love is needed and required. If you think you have what it takes to be a cat owner, then by all means get a cat. You won't regret it.

********

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Darn weekend sale. As a result, I bought a new sleeping basket for Pozzy(I wasn't even planning to get her one, err but i did). With it came a soft pillow and a thermal blanket to keep her warm this winter. It was fascinating to see her carefully inspect, sniff around and constantly rubbing her cheeks againts the basket. This is the cat way of saying "THIS ONE IS MINE" or Pozzy claiming the basket as her own. In less than 15 minutes, Pozzy comfortably lay inside her new bed (and eventually dozing off). What a lovely sight.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usThe next few nights thereafter, I noticed that Pozzy hasn't been sleeping in her other bed except that one particular night when it was freezing cold. Instead I would catch her sitting beside it for a while then moving straight inside the room to jump inside her basket. It seems to me that Pozzy now prefers the basket over her foam bed. Well I don't blame her. I'd pick the basket too if only for the thermal blanket that goes with it(not to mention the leg room).

********

Boe has a basket of her own. She sleeps there every now and then(or whenever she feels "safe"). Boe started to feel uneasy sleeping in her basket after several incidents of Pozzy sneaking up on her. She hates Pozzy for that. So I decided to make a pillow bed as an alternative sleeping station for her and made sure it is elevated to deter attacks from naughty Pozzy. I placed it next to my PC table so I could conveniently reach out to pet her whenever I want to. She in turn gets the pleasure of watching me surf the internet, and occasionally leaping straight to my lap to take a nap and get kisses on the forehead while sleeping. I love it whenever she tries to reach out to touch me with her soft paws whenever she feels like stretching. I would usually tease her with a bird's feather, swishing it in front of her face fast enough to prevent her from swiping it with her paws and biting it. She enjoys this game immensely. There are times I would catch her reaching out to play with the wires attached to my DSL modem, a ploy to get my attention(which works all the time).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What I enjoy most is seeing her sleep soundly beside me. It's rewarding to see one's pet sleeping contently. What a blessing it is for me to sleep each night with the thought that I tried my very best to make them happy, and to provide for their needs. I'm blessed with two awesome cats who always brings a smile to my face no matter how tough the day has been and I certainly look forward to many more happy days with them.

Here's to a purrrfect weekend ahead. Meow!!!

********

I promised to post Boe's latest pictures on a previous entry, so here is it. Enjoy!

Hmm, I wonder what Pozzy's up to...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Don't even think about it...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I'm feeling blue today...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

4 Comments:

At 2:21 AM, Blogger Summer Fire said...

pet lovers are good people daw, may good heart... :-)

bilib ako sa mga owners like you. shows how responsible you are... maalaga pa at mapagmahal...

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Pussy Lover said...

*blushing* thanks summer:)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger BabyPink said...

grabe! i love reading your entries. they show how much you love your cats. i miss my cats back home tuloy..:(

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger BabyPink said...

grabe! i love reading your entries. they show how much you love your cats. i miss my cats back home tuloy..:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home